Monday, May 14, 2007

Bonne fête, Maman!

My beautiful mother is such a sweetheart. Unfortunately, she is a victim of Alzheimer's.

She no longer remembers our names, but sometimes remember our faces.

She cannot walk for long, but often has a smile on her face.

She cannot form complete sentences, or words, but will caress my hair to offer comfort.

My family and I have learned to live every single moment with her to its fullest because there is no other way for us to survive this. She has always been full of love for us and I wanted to celebrate that motherly love. The album on the left is a "reminder" for her of her family and I know that she was grateful for it when I gave it to her for Mother's Day.


When I saw K & Co.'s K.Ology Peabody papers, I knew I had to have them. My mother's favorite colors have always been green and old rose. So I put this album together with 4 X 4 chipboard coasters. I have inked all of the small pieces, distressed the photos with an emery board and inked them as well. The result is an album sturdy enough for her to manipulate.




















The little book is bound with binder rings from Karen Foster and embellished with sheer ribbon (source unknown).

Here she is, at 21. What a beauty!























It was an emotional project to put together, but therapeutic at the same time. She cried when I gave it to her, but was smiling after having played with it for over an hour. She even surprised me by reading a few words! That was incredible!























These are pictures of myself with my two kids to remind her that she is also a grandmother. She liked these pictures the best. She is a sucker for babies... and big brown eyes.



















The chipboard album fits perfectly into a little purse, made with and 8 1/2" X 11 piece of cardstock, some ribbon and patterned paper. The sentiment on the front is from "Phrases flexibles de tous les jours".










And there she is, with me, holding on to her little book. She is in the 6th stage (of 7) of this dreadful disease and look at her! She is still smiling. She is 82 years old and this is her natural hair. I sport more grey in mine!

My mother is larger than life.

Je t'aime, maman XXX

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

C'est tout simplement sublîme!
Que d'émotions, je suis litéralement en larmes.
Bisous!
Ton amie Jo.

Anonymous said...

Quel beau projet et preuve d'amour inconditionnel pour une mere ... je suis en larmes !!!!

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful Catherine!
How wonderful that she was able to remember her life with this gift. :)